Re: State of the Radiation Safety Art (1950 - 1955)

Hello Jim & RadSafers,

You might want to see if you can locate a copy of the "Radiation Hygiene

Handbook" by Hanson Blatz, 1959 by McGraw-Hill, Inc., Library of

Congress Catalog Number: 59-9985.

It's quite a reference for that time frame.  It consists of 23 Sections,

  with a forward by Merril Eisenbud and Sections authored by many early

health and medical physics luminaries, such as K.Z. Morgan, Harald Rossi

and Harold Wyckoff.  Section 3 "Exposure Standards and Radiation

Protection Regulations" is authored by Lauriston Taylor & Saul Harris.

Each section is well referenced which may be of further use in your

research.

My copy is a first edition that I bought for $0.25/lb at a UCONN Health

Center Library withdrawn book sale about 20 years ago.  It must have

cost me a whole $1.25!

You might also see if you can find a copy of "The Basis for Standards

for Radiation Protection" by Lauriston Taylor in the Journal of the

Washington Academy of Sciences, Vol 46, pp. 69-77, 1956.  This is but

one of many references cited in Hanson's book.

Regards,

Mike Bohan, RSO

Yale-New Haven Hospital

Radiological Physics