RE: safety of being in the proximity of someone on RAI therapy

Group,

I have heard reports of States presenting a bill to hospitals when they have

traced waste from a patient released properly under the state equivalent of

10 CFR 35.75.  I have never heard of them trying to collect from a private

individual.  But it makes no sense to present a bill to a hospital when no

regulation or law was violated and no sense to dig it up if it is I-131 that

will in effect be in a place frequented only by people that work there and

will in a month or three decay away.

I recently asked a state regulator if they would dig up I-131 if they could

ID it and it had ended up their legally.  He said they would probably direct

the operator to bury it deeply or remotely and leave it.  But he also said

if they traced it to a hospital, and it had gotten there because of loss of

control they probably would dig it up, return it to the hospital and give

them a bill.

While I applaud the first response I think it would make a lot more sense to

leave the stuff in the land fill and fine the licensee if they had lost

control and that was why it had gotten into the land fill.

Any opinions in this e-mail are solely those of the author, and are not

represented as those of the VA Eastern Colorado HCS, the Dept. of Veterans

Affairs, or the US Government.

Peter G. Vernig, Radiation Safety Officer, VA Eastern Colorado Health Care

System, 1055 Clermont St. Denver, CO 80220, peter.vernig@med.va.gov, Phone=

303.399.8020 x2447; Fax = 303.393.5026, alternate fax, 303.393.5248

"...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is lovely, whatever is

admirable, if anything is found to be excellent or praiseworthy, let your

mind dwell on these things."

Paul of Tarsus