RE: saftey of being in the proximity of someone on RAI therapy

I would expect the states to make that determination.

Certainly not the hospitals or the landfills.

--- Gerald Nicholls <Gerald.Nicholls@dep.state.nj.us>

wrote:

> John Jacobus crispy_bird@yahoo.com wrote:

> "Maybe it is about time that the regulators consider

> the cost outweigh the risk, and consider allowing

> landfills to receive and dispose of short-lived

> radioactive waste from medical treatments."

> I don't think there is a great deal of disagreement

> on that subject.

> Most of the waste will wind up in the landfill

> anyway (possibly after

> being held for decay).  The problem is who

> determines that it is

> short-lived...the landfill operator or the hospital

> where the patient

> was treated?  My preference would be for the

> hospital where

> appropriately trained people deal with radioactivity

> on a day to day

> basis.

> Gerald Nicholls

> NJDEP

=====

"Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist