RE: saftey of being in the proximity of someone on RAI therapy

Have you considered the effective half-life?  Also,

you need the activity upon release, not administered.

--- "Flanigan, Floyd" <Floyd.Flanigan@nmcco.com>

wrote:

> I believe another concern which the original poster

> was the risk of spending a couple of hours a day

> with the patient in question. Here is a little rule

> of thumb for I-131:

> If you had 1 curie (far far more than I would

> imagine your friend has been given)and you spent 1

> hour within 3 feet of that quantity, you would

> receive 0.282939 Rem of dose. So figure on roughly

> 0.3mr/hr dose rate @ 3 feet for every millicurie of

> I-131 your friend has been given. If she has 50

> millicuries, the worst case scenerio for first day

> would be 15mr/hr @ 3 feet. Now ... consider that for

> 3 hours you are looking at 45mr exposure. Of course,

> I have no idea what the millicurie content of her

> treatment has been, although I doubt it is anywhere

> near 50 millicuries. If you like, you can post the

> particulars if available and one of us could do a

> rough dose rate/time/exposure estimate for you.

> Floyd W.Flanigan B.S.Nuc.H.P.

=====

"Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist