RE: saftey of being in the proximity of someone on RAI therapy

I don't know how many states require landfill operators to have portal

monitors but I know that New Jersey does not.  Most landfills and

incinerators here have installed them but it has been at the urging of

their insurance carriers, not due to state regulation.

I wasn't clear on one of my previous points, I agree that states would

have to give upfront authorization to dispose of shortlived radioactive

materials in landfills.  The point that I was trying to make is that

even with such an authorization, you would still have the problem of who

identifies an unknown radionuclide triggering a landfill monitor.  If

the patient received waste packaging materials when leaving the

hospital, and the packaging materials identified the contents as

shortlived rad waste, and included contact information for verification,

it should not be necessary to identify the rad material with gamma

spectrometry.

Gerald Nicholls

NJDEP

>>> John Jacobus <crispy_bird@YAHOO.COM> 08/20/04 12:48PM >>>

If the states are requiring the landfill operators to

have portal monitors, then the states could require

them to have hand-held spectrometers.

--- "Flanigan, Floyd" <Floyd.Flanigan@nmcco.com>

wrote:

> I agree almost completely with one unfortunate point

> of contest: The expenditure of resources to identify

> the isotope once the alarm at the dump goes off. I'm

> sure there is a way of addressing it efficiently ...

> but who picks up the tab?

> Floyd W. Flanigan B.S.Nuc.H.P.

=== message truncated ===

=====

"Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist