Re: [Know_Nukes] Mangano urges new studies of TMI health effects

Gosh I  hate to get into one of these again, but...

The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists is not peer-reviewed in the sense of

HEALTH PHYSICS or SCIENCE; i.e., articles are not sent anonymously to anonymous

peer reviewers, etc.  However, the Bulletin was founded by the late Eugene

Rabinowitsch (sp?) who was one of the chief chemists on the Manhattan Project and

who, as it happens, was my biophysics professor at the U. of Illinois, and

tried to get me to switch my major to biophysics.  We also belonged to the same

Go-playing group, and got to know Dr. Rabinowitsch socially somewhat.  He went

on after the Manhattan Project to write an excellent treatise on

photosynthesis.

Dr. Rabinowirsch was a first-rate scientist and was concerned about the

proliferation of nuclear weapons.  As long as he was part of the editorial board of

the Bulletin, the articles were reviewed for scientific accuracy ( or

inaccuracy).  I cannot speak for what the Bulletin does now, and I have been

disappointed in the couple of issues I have seen in recent years.They appeared to be

adopting the strident anti-nuclear tone we are all to familiar with.

Ruth

Ruth F. Weiner, Ph. D.

ruthweiner@aol.com