Re: A good Hormetic Effect of Background Radiation is shown in a1973 AEC report.

 It is unfortunate that for some unforeseen reason the authors of the

following report did not publish the results in a scientific journal:

> Frigerio, N.A., Eckerman, K.F. and Stowe, R.S. (1973) Carcinogenic

> Hazard from Low-Level, Low-Rate Radiation, Part I, Rep. ANL/ES-26.

> Argonne Nat. Lab

>     It shows that the six states with the highest background have a

> cancer death rate 15% lower than the average for all the states. The

> statistical certainty appears to be better than about 5 std dev. The

> authors obviously planned to publish their results as reference #24 in

> their report is to themselves as "to be published".

    ----We should recognize the severe limitations of this work. It

says, essentially, that the Rocky Mountain states which have high

background radiation have low cancer rates, and the Gulf Plain states

which have low background radiation have high cancer rates. But cancer

rates can be impacted by many factors other than radiation -- these

would be called confounding factors. Some examples would be age of

population, pollution levels, socioeconomic factors (poor people have

higher cancer rates than the well-to-do), ethnicity of population,

smoking habits, diet, weather, climate, etc. Cancer rates vary from 17%

in Rocky Mountain states to 23% in New England, whereas LNT predicts

that only about 1-2% of all cancers are caused by background radiation,

so everyone must agree that these other factors must be more important

than radiation.

    Recognizing these problems played a big role in the design of my

studies of radon vs lung cancer in U.S. counties. I gave very extesive

treatment to all of the above potential confounding factors and numerous

others. I also had the starting advantage that LNT predicts that 10% of

all lung cancers are due to radon..