Re: Question: Proposals for a Non-LNT world?

In a message dated 10/26/2004 6:24:05 AM Pacific Standard Time,

franz.schoenhofer@CHELLO.AT writes:

One  serious question I have to those who want the LNT to be abandoned:

What is  their idea of radiation legislation? Would there be any limits

now in force  regarding maximum permissible doses, MPC's for

radionuclides in food, air,  waste etc. abandoned? Would doctors subject

their patients to 50 CT's per  day? Would consumer products become

radioactive? Would NPP's be allowed to  discharge all their waste in the

environment? Or would simply all those  nice figures multiplied by

hundred, thousand or one  million?

I tend to agree with Dr. Karam and Dr. Cohen in this regard.  We  should

treat radiation regulation in a manner similar to many other  "pollutants," openly

recognizing the limitations of our knowledge, and not  second-guessing

whether effects in the lower reaches of exposure are harmful,  neutral or beneficial.

This would not eliminate maximum permissible doses, as you seem to suggest,

but would produce regulatory limits that are more in line with the current

state  of scientific knowledge, and more properly balance the risks and benefits

of  exposure in the context of all the risks we routinely face.

BTW - we currently have consumer products that ARE radioactive (e.g., smoke

detectors and tritium watch dials; and, of course, those "elevated" NORM

items, Brazil nuts and salt substitute).

Barbara