Re: Airport screening and medicine

Hi all:

Even if dose during commercial intercontinental flight were 50 times [the

factor quoted my Reuven] an assumed typical background of 10 micro-R/hr at

sea level, the dose at altitude would be 500 micro-R/hr or 0.5 mR/hr. For

an extreme case of 8 hours per day of flying times 365 days per year

equates to 1.46 R/year.

More realistically, any crewmember would only fly about 6 hours/day for 5

days a week which works out  [6 hours/day/8 hours/day] x [5 days/week/7

days/week] to a factor of 0.53 "occupancy at altitude". Thus the maximum

annual dose for crewmembers is 0.8 R/year based on the reported "50 times

higher than background" stated in the post below.

Stewart Farber

[203] 367-0791