RE: Abandon hope all ye target theory modelers..."Dose response"not linear?

Michael Brooks points us to a new issue of Mutation Research.  Vol. 568

of Mutation Research is not online yet in my library, so I haven't seen

it.

But I wonder what he means by "dose response." A relationship predicting

a linear increase in detriment (as defined by the ICRP) with dose may be

a useful risk management concept, but as a scientific concept it's a

trifle simplistic!

Let's look as why it's simplistic. This is from my outline for the 2005

HPS Summer School in Spokane, updated from Strom (1998):

e)	The Universe of Variables Needed to Predict Response: So-called

"Dose-Response" is a 14-Dimensional Problem

	i)	Dose

	ii)	Dose Rate

	iii)	Fractionation

	iv)	LET and Radiation Quality

	v)	Spatial Distribution of Energy Deposition

	vi)	Age at Beginning of Exposure

	vii)	Time Since Exposure Began

	viii)	Sex

	ix)	Species

	x)	Sub-species

		(1)	Genetic Predisposition

		(2)	Susceptible Subpopulations

		(3)	Biomarkers of Susceptibility

	xi)	Effect Modifiers (Other Risk or Protection Factors)

		(1)	Smoking

		(2)	Obesity

		(3)	Disease

		(4)	Nutrition and Malnutrition

		(5)	Combined Injury

	xii)	Endpoint

		(1)	Cancer

			(a)	Solid Tumors

			(b)	Cancers of the Blood-Forming Organs

		(2)	Heritable Ill-Health

		(3)	Tissue Effects

		(4)	Developmental Abnormalities (Teratogenic

Effects)

	xiii)	Morbidity and Mortality

	xiv)	Medical Care and Public Health

		(1)	Medical Care to Manage Dose

			(a)	Decontamination

			(b)	Amputation, Excision, and Debridement

			(c)	Chelation

			(d)	Forcing Fluids

			(e)	Blocking by Mass Action

			(f)	Lavage

		(2)	Medical Care to Manage Response

			(a)	Radioprotectant Drugs

			(b)	Infection Prevention and Management

		(3)	Progress in Medicine and Public Health

			(a)   Cancer prevention

			(b)	Cancer treatment

Bill Morgan gave a talk at CIRMS a couple of weeks ago that indicated

that there are huge gaps in what we know about carcinogenesis,

especially in vivo. Lots of stuff that happens in 2-D cell cultures or

even in 3-D liquid media does not happen in 3-D tissues, and vice versa.

So, if you're interested in the partial derivative (with respect to

dose) of the response of a particular health endpoint in a certain

genetic subset of a human population of a given age and sex with a

particular irradiation scheme of dose rate, fractionation, age at

exposure, radiation quality, uniformity of irradiation (partial or whole

body), in a particular nutritional state with a particular tobacco use

pattern and a particular pattern of disease and inflammation, within the

context of particular medical care situation and postulating exactly

what medical progress has been made with respect to cancer prevention

(e.g., by treating inflammation, now strongly implicated in many

cancers), we can talk about a "dose-response relationship."

Dose-response relationships for leukemia and bone cancer are most

assuredly not linear. The absence of excess leukemias around Chernobyl

is a very impressive null result that confirms the non-linearity of

leukemia with dose alone. Dose-response relationships for solid tumors

in the Japanese bomb survivors, the vast majority of whom received low

doses, are amazingly linear.

If you want to average over all dose rates, fractionations, radiation

qualities, ages, races, sexes, tobacco use, etc., you may have a

dose-response relationship that is of use in risk management, but may

not have a lot of scientific interest.

Science is but one input to radiation protection. None of the above

precludes the use of the linear nonthreshold dose-response model in risk

management and radiation protection.

Strom DJ. 1998. "Uses and Abuses of Models in Radiation Risk Management.

<http://www.pnl.gov/bayesian/strom/pdfs/Strom1998M_PNNL-SA-36701_Uses_&_

Abuses.PDF> PNNL-SA-36701. Radiation Protection Management 15(6):17-43.

- Dan Strom

The opinions expressed above, if any, are mine alone and have not been

reviewed or approved by Battelle, the Pacific Northwest National

Laboratory, or the U.S. Department of Energy.

Daniel J. Strom, Ph.D., CHP

Environmental Technology Directorate, Pacific Northwest National

Laboratory

Mail Stop K3-56, PO BOX 999, Richland, Washington 99352-0999 USA

Overnight: Battelle for the U.S. DOE, 790 6th St., Richland WA 99354

ATTN: Dan Strom K3-56

Telephone (509) 375-2626 FAX (509) 375-2019 mailto:strom@pnl.gov

Brief Resume: http://www.pnl.gov/bayesian/strom/strombio.htm

Online Publications: http://www.pnl.gov/bayesian/strom/strompub.htm