Re: non-ionizing

Hello, Bruce.  The Health Physics Section (part of the Office of Occup. Health
& Safety) here at Princeton does respond to nonionizing radiation safety con-
cerns:  we've investigated UV overexposures & laser incidents, maintain a micro
wave inventory and survey program (about which there are internal differences
of opinion as to its value), approve laser purchases, keep an eye on University
compliance with State non-ionizing rad'n regs and notify affected departments
when the state is proposing or putting out new regs.  If an issue is regulated
we have some power, but if it isn't (like laser use), then we have less.  For
instance, Purchasing tells us a laser is being ordered so we visit the profes-
sor, look at his space and his proposed use, supply her/him with a copy of the
ANSI standard and recommend that the standard be followed.  But we don't have
the teeth to force compliance with the standard.

The senior health physicist is planning to request in the near future that the
Radiation Safety Committee and its parent committee, the Committee on Occupa-
tional Health & Safety, take up the issue of nonionizing rad'n and create a
stronger position on the subject.  With respect to EMF issues, the Radiation
Safety Committee started wrestling with them this past year.  The Facilities
Department provided the impetus because the F. D. has been receiving a number
of questions dealing with EMF arising from the power distribution system.  At t
he moment, if it concerns power distribution, Facilities is handling it, while
we handle all other EMF questions.  But Facilities has asked for direction
about how it should respond to EMF questions and what action it should take
when it receives flak about the location of a transformer, for instance.

Sue Dupre/Health Physicist/Princeton University