Non-ionizing radiation

To all interested:

At the University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign, the Radiation Hazards Committee
is charged with all non-ionizing radiation safety, which is administered by the
Radiation Safety Office (formerly the Health Physics Office).  This includes
lasers, microwaves, RF, EMF, magnetic fields, UV, IR and any other forms of energy
which might cause excitation or thermal effects on human tissue.  We are in the
process of putting together a new Non-ionizing Radiation Safety Manual....the
University requirements (albeit limited) are currently in the Radiation Safety
Manual (we want to limit that to ionizing radiation) and the University of Illinois
Administrative Manual.  We are in the process of issuing Permits to professors and
research scientists/engineers (eg. principal faculty investigator) who use lasers,
as well as all ionizing radiation producing machines (except SEMs).  For lasers, we
are following ANSI Z-136.1 [1993] and appropriate state regs. for lasers.  It
appears that we will also have to comply with  29CFR1910.97 and any appropriate
state regulations. Have a good week!

Paul W. Shafer
Interim Head, Radiation Safety Office
Health Physicist/Certified Laser Safety Officer
University of Illinois