Re: get a load of this!

What I think, Hector, is that it's hard to be coherent when one is sputtering
with outrage!  Thanks for the surge of adrenaline - I was feeling a little
sleepy this morning.  I have little constructive to say except to say that,
when we wrote our Radiation Safety Guide and as we edit it and add new parts to
it, we consider very carefully the use of "shall", "should," "may", "will", "as
appropriate" and other phrases which suggest or require.  We discuss these
words and have very good reasons for their use - we probably all understand the
reasons why a "should" is used instead of a "shall".  I think that if we were
given the same order you have received, I would do my fighting with the state
bureaucracy, and if we lost, then I would consider creating a very small Manual
dealing with the essential regulatory issues and containing the "shalls".  Then
I think I would create a larger Manual-type document for internal use.  I don't
know whether that would work - I see problems with it but anger is clouding my
my brain so I can think of nothing else to offer.

Regards,

Sue Dupre/Health Physicist/Princeton University