Fiber Optic requirements

1.  I noted the identified problem at USCarolina and note that David
Sliney is the right guy to answer in detail.

2.  I think (putting my old LSO hat on) that ANSI Z136.2 is one of the
best kept industry standards' secrets on the shelf!

3.  With increasing use of higher power optical networks by CATV companies,
phone companies, university networking projects, etc., we might have to
remind the contracting officers that we would like compliance (or
"technical equivalency") for optical fiber installations in accordance
with the standard.  This is an increasing source of frustration, and the
hazard may be greater than is generally realized.
The opions expressed above are    |  The opinions above also do not
those of the author alone and do  |  represent those of US Department
not represent those of the        |  of Defense, Defense Nuclear
Stanford University or the US     |  Agency, US Navy, Metropolitan
Department of Energy.             |  Edison, Porter Consultants, etc.