Natural background.

The following exchange between Congressmen Nick Joe Rahall II (D (?) from
West Virginia) and Wayne Allard (R (?) from Colorado) took place at the
hearings on the NRC's BRC policy on September 12, 1991.

Mr. Allard.  We're talking about very low levels of radiation.
Do you have a natural radiation background in your state?

Mr. Rahall.  I'm sorry?

Mr. Allard  There's a certain amount of radiation in background, depending
on where you live.  In some states it's higher than others.
    And I'm wondering if you happen to know what the radiation background
is in West Virginia?

Mr. Rahall.  No, I don't, nor am I sure that we have such.

Mr. Allard  The point I was going to provide is, does it seem practical
to regulate articles exposed to radiation, that would be lower than the
natural background in the state, in which case you would be requiring
regulations that are even tighter than what would be a natural phenomenon
for that state.
    I just wanted to know if you were prepared to comment on that.  If
not, that's OK.  We can pick it up on future questions.

Mr. Rahall.  Well, as I said, I'm not sure that we have such radiation
levels in my State of West Virginia.  [Mr. Rahall's statement continues.]

"The Radiation Protection Act of 1991 Below Regulatory Concern: Hearing
before the Subcomm. on Energy and the Environment of the House Comm. on
Interior and Insular Affairs", 102 Cong. 1st Sess. 23-28 (1991) (Statement
of Nick J. Rahall II Rep. of West Virginia)

If your congressman or congresswoman has eliminated the natural background
in your state, please let us know.  No other act could reduce exposures so
much at so little cost.

Don Jordan                          Tel. (312) 702-6299
Office of Radiation Safety          Fax        702-4008
The University of Chicago           email: don@radpro.uchicago.edu

           -- Opinions expressed are soley the author's --