Re: To Badge, or Not To Badge

Erick,

We also badge a very large fraction of our users mainly for
the reasons you cited.  In fact we have resisted going to TLD's
because we feel that film provides more information and is
rereadable.  Many times a high exposure is from contamination
or accidental (or mischievious) exposure to a source or x-rays.
Film can provide evidence for determining if an exposure is
questionable.  My suggestion that they consider not badging that
particular group is specific to that circumstance.  After all, if
those individuals are working in a high containment biohazard
facility they have more potential to litigate for the biohazards
to which they might be exposed.  Training and consent forms MIGHT
provide equivalent protection from litigation for this specific
group.  If we were faced with a similar decision, we would certainly
involve our legal office in the process.  I'm not sure what we
would actually do.  Just pointing out a viable alternative.

"I disclaim", I exclaimed.

Dale Boyce
dale@radpro.uchicago.edu