Re: Xenon trapping

Roger:

  Activated charcoal is quite efficient. If memory serves me, for example, even
  at room temperature approximately one cc of Xenon is adsorbed per gram of
  charcoal.  At reduced temperatures adsorption is of course enhanced.
  Radiation monitor responders at Three Mile Island were somehow surprised when
  they used charcoal adsorption filters for offsite field measurements for
  radioiodine; their meters were pegged,  not from radioiodine, but from the
  Xenon-133.
  If you need specific references for charcoal use, request via this internet,
   or call  George Buzzelli  @ 714-368-8326.

Fido-To: hps

Does anybody know of a method to trap Xe-133. Since it is a noble gas, I
suspect it would be difficult. I have seen a reference to the use of activated
charcoal for a Xe trap but it was not very informative. Any help would be
appreciated.
Thanks,
Roger Moroney
Health Physicist
Mallinckrodt Medical

--- Maximus-CBCS v1.02
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: Check Source BBS (1:233/13)
--
HPS - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)