Re: I-131 therapies

I have some suggestions for I-131 room prep and decon that have helped me
out.

I use the "chucks" or "diapers" provided by the hosptial (each
nursing station should have a supply) to cover the room and bathroom
floors.  These have an absorbant layer on one side and a plastic covering
on the other.

I also use food service strength plastic wrap (it doesn't breath as much
as the other brands) to cover smaller room items (nurse
call button, phone, door handles).  Covering both the toilet seat
and the outer bowl with plastic wrap has saved me a lot of decon time.
Draping the wrap into the bowl (without touching the water) has also
helped.

Medium sized kitchen trash bags are nice for quick covers on the bed side
rails and the bed tray.  Although not attactive, I duct tape the seam
around the sink and counter top so that iodine won't get trapped there.

The iodine likes to stick to the hair that gets caught in the drains, so
at the beginning of my room decon I use some Draino in the sink and
shower.  By the time I get to those areas to clean and survey, I don't have
nearly as much of a problem.

Working alone, I can prep a room in about an hour and decon in a little
over two (provided the room is relatively clean - problems add alot of time).

I hope this helps...

PS>	Are you Rob Forrest from Lowell?  If so, HI from Michelle
	Fitzgerald!  See you at the night out in Boston - no doubt a party.