Veterinary Animal Restraints

Melissa Woo asks:

>Does anyone know of a source for veterinary restraint systems for use during
>veterinary radiography and/or fluoroscopy procedures?  The need is for both
>small animal (dogs, cats) and large animal (horses) cases.

Ted M. de Castro replied:

>I don't know about animal specific restraints BUT there is a restraint I
>have seen used for babies and adults that SHOULD work quite well.
>
>I don't know what it is called - BUT it is a heavy duty plastic bag filled
>with tiny styrofoam balls.  With air in the bag it is very easy to form
>around the patient/subject.  When a vacuum is pulled on the bag it becomes
>QUITE RIGID.  The net result is a very firm hold with very little pressure.

I think that I saw this device in either a Picker or General Electric
catalog one time.  It was a catalog advertising many neat things for
the stylin' X-Ray suite.  Of course, for lack of mechanical restraints,
there is always the tried and trusted tech in a lead apron/gloves.
But then, we have an ALARA problem, depending on where you aim the
beam.

Standard Disclaimer:  These are my opinions alone, and do not reflect
the official views of the US Army or the US Government.

     * JOHN E. APERANS, RRPT                           *
     *  Directorate for Applied Technology, Test and   *
     *                     Simulation (DATTS)          *
     *  US Army White Sands Missile Range, NM 88002    *
     *  ATTN: Health Physics                           *
     * FAX: (505) 678-7410  VOICE: (505) 678-2064      *
     * e-mail: japerans@wsmr-emh81.army.mil            *
     The chicken HAD to come first.  An egg would have been
     fried and eaten.