Re: DOT Regulations

You better check your units again.

"49CFR173.403(y) Radioactive material means any material having a specific
activity greater than 0.002 microcuries per gram (uCi/g) (see definition of
specific activity).

(aa) Specific activity of a radionuclide, means the activity of the
radionuclide per unit mass of that nuclide. The specific activity of a
material in which the radionuclide is essentially uniformly distributed is
the activity per unit mass of the material."

>I have a query for all of you on Radsafe:
>
>We might need to ship several 1 liter poly bottles of water sampled
>from a contaminated site.  Most isotopes are far below concern,
>however, Sr-90 might be as high as 0.5 uCi/L.
>
>It seems to me that 49CFR173.403(y) applies here, which defines
>radioactive material as "any material having a specific activity
>greater than 0.002 mCi per gram."  and further defines specific
>activity one way as: "a material in which the radionuclide is
>essentially uniformly distrubuted is the activity per unit mass of
>the material."
>
>Since the samples are from a well and the radioisotopes are
>uniformly distributed, then I would assume this
>infers that anything lower than 2 uCi/g or ml of water would be below
>regulatory concern.   Right? [grin]
>
>Besides the precautions for shipping a liquid would the above
>assumption cover this situation?
>
>Thanks for your time,
>
>Troy D. Taylor
>Health Physicist
>Idaho State University
>Technical Safety Office

William R. Webber, Health Physicist ( Warp Factor OS/2)
The opions expressed above are those of the author alone and do not
represent those of the National Institute of Standards and Technology nor
the US Department of Commerce.
CAUTION SNOW ANGEL AREA - play MSTy for me.