Radioactive Materials Production

I'd like to enlarge on the thread Marv Goldman started regarding
lack of production facilities for Mo-99 in the United States.

Mo-99 is not the only important radionuclide was is not produced
in the United States.  Nordion (formerly Atomic Energy of Canada)
has a virtual world-wide monopoly on almost all reactor produced
radionuclides.  This includes Co-60 and iodine-125.  A few years
ago they had a reactor problem and the world supply of iodine-125
almost dried up.  I don't think the situation has changed radically
since then.

I'm glad to see the D.O.E. has taken interest in this issue.  These
radio-tracer nuclides are essential for biotech and life science
research.

Standard Disclaimer:  The above opinions are solely my own and
are worth just what you paid for them.  I'm currently unemployed,
so my employers opinions are irrelevant

Paul Ward
ptward@aol.com