RE: HPS HomePage -Reply

Jeff Kleck wrote:

>With regard to your [Marv Goldman's] ending remark (see below),
>"Sending messages out on the internet that we don't do anything for
>our members is being part of the problem."

>you are wrong! Open and frank discussions are what our society, and
>any organization, need the most. They are indeed part of the
>solution,  . . . . If my remarks are without substance, my
>ramblings will quickly be refutted by an outslaught of e-mail
>putting me straight.

It is my opinion that anyone who considers themselves a
"professional" in the area of radiation protection should belong to
the HPS. I am certainly no cheerleader for the HPS and have let
Marvin know, in no uncertain terms, what I think is wrong with it.
Nevertheless, there are clear advantages to being a member:

I. Attendance at local chapter meetings (in large part, the chapters
owe their existence to the HPS), regional meetings and national
meetings
    a. expand ones professional contacts.
    b. allow a frank exchange of ideas in an unthreatening atmosphere
with representatives of regulatory agencies.
    c. provide numerous educational opportunities through the
technical papers, poster sessions, continuing education lectures and
professional enrichment programs.

II. Attendance at the HPS summer school provides an excellent
opportunity to learn about a particular topic from a wide array of
experts.

III. Receipt of the newsletter provides information about job
openings, hot topics, rule changes, upcoming courses etc.

IV. Receipt of the membership handbook alone is worth the price of
admission. It provides addresses and phone numbers not only of
members but state radiation program offices, federal agencies,
vendors, and a bunch of other neat stuff.

V. Receipt of the Journal provides technical information and info on
various commercial products. While most of the papers will be skipped
over, there are always a few gems e.g. Cohens papers, said to "prove"
hormesis and the falsity of the linear no threshold approach, are
cited so often that I, for one, want to scream.

VI. The HPS has a lending library for videotapes that will also sell
copies of handouts used in the HPS meeting PEP sessions.

VII. If you become an active member of an HPS committee and have a
good idea, the HPS might support it financially. Thats how the
Centennial Calendar came into being.

I could go on but I've got work to do. Jeff, there must be something
membership does for you or you wouldn't be a member. Maybe it just
looks good on the resume. Hey, thats another reason to join, reason
VIII.

Paul Frame
Professional Training Programs
Oak Ridge Associated Universities