Re: Exit Eye Exams for Laser Operators

Don, we met with our occupational health group and it was decided that full
opthalamic exams would be the best route to go.  However, they changed
their minds and have now decided to offer a visual acuity test which I am
told is useless in determining eye damage from laser radiation.  They are
also planning to give each operator an Amsler grid to look at periodically
and check for distortions in the grid lines as a possible indication of
retinal damage. They will offer full opthalamic exams only if an operator
is injured during the course of their work at USC.