Re: CHP Name Tags

Dr. Hertel --

While for some it may be status or even snobbery, but another way of
looking at things is to note that CHP on the HPS meeting ID badges denotes
membership in the Academy, a sibling organization to the HPS that holds
its meeting concurrently with the HPS and whose origins sprang from the
HPS.  As such, it is a useful piece of information, just as the fancy
colored ribbons attached to the badges that denote members of Local
Arrangements Committee, Society Officers, etc.  Sometimes a star is used
to denote speakers, also a useful bit of identification.  But even if you
wish to argue status, I would point out that CHP at a HPS meeting is far
more relevant than any academic degree -- after all the PhD could be in
basketweaving or what have you.  The CHP is a PROFESSIONAL designation,
not to be confused with an academic one.

Ron Kathren