Re: Y-90 synovectomy

>Is anyone working in a US facility where Y-90 is being used for radiation
>synovectomy (presumably under an IND)? I know it is used in the UK and
>elswhere in Europe. We have a pediatric hemophiliac patient we wish to refer
>for this procedure. The physicians prefer NOT to use P-32 unless necessary.
>
>NUCPHARM@AOL.COM
>W. Porter, BCNP  313-876-3217 PHONE
>                           313-876-1087 FAX

Sir:

Back in the dark ages, i.e. late 60's - early 70's, considerable work using
Y-90 for this therapy was done at the Georgia Tech Nuclear Research Center.
At the time it was limited to animal experiments.  Y-90 was produced by both
irradiation of stable Y-89 oxide in the reactor and from a one-curie Sr-90
generator (a real BEAST).  The prime questions addressed by these animal
studies was to define the distribution of the injected Y-90 within the
organs.  In other words, how well the Y-90 remained in the injected joint.
The "normal" chemical form for the injected Y-90 was a suspension of Y
hydroxide, obtained by neutralizing an acidic solution of Y nitrate.

The physician involved in these studies has, no doubt, retired.  You might
contact Ratib Karam  or Rod Ice at Ga. Tech for possible update.

Milton McLain