Re: Risk Calculation Analogies

>I am looking for new and interesting ways to explain how radiation risks......

>I've heard the analogy comparing effects of taking a hundred aspirin all at
>once, and from that data determining the expected effects of taking one
>aspirin a day for a hundred days (though this analogy is somewhat lacking).
> Any creative ideas out there?

How about comparing it to crossing a busy road. ie finding out how many
people cross a particular road each year and how many are hit by cars then
calculating the risk of being hit by a car per road crossing.

                        Alex Zapantis
                        Radiation Safety Officer
                        Queensland University of Technology
                        Health & Safety Section