Re: Dosimeter Location

I have been following this thread with some interest.  Why as a professional
do we need something in writing on which to base a common sense decision
that should be based on first principles of Radiation Safety and Protection?
Ron Kathern is on track on this one ... as usual RON!

I don't remember the place of publication but Libby Brateman has done
extensive work on wearing of dosimeters outside, inside, at the collar, etc.
Will look it up.  Her work in this area is excellent and should be read by
all grad students and those who have such interest. .... I will dig out the
reference later and post it .... IF SOMEONE doesn't beat me to the punch.

JERRY THOMAS

At 00:37 9/28/95 -0500, you wrote:
>It would seem to me that it might be appropriate to, at least for a time,
>wear TWO dosimeters, one over and the other under.  This could provide
>much information including the efficacy of the apron, the exposure to the
>eye, and provide the stuff for a better estimate or caluclation of EDE.
>
>Ron Kathren
>
>On Wed, 27 Sep 1995, Ken Foether wrote:
>
>> Hi, I am a grad student currently doing my thesis on the doses
>> physicians recieve during fluoroscopy. In my research, I found
>> ICRP 60 gives guidelines as to the appropiate dosimeter locations.
>> Also there have been a few studies done on this including Faulkner
>> and Marshall (1993) and Faulkner and Harrison (1988). Additionally
>> the Food and Drug Administration in a brochure dated Sept. 9, 1994
>> is concerned with the health care professionals wearing dosimetry
>> and the doses recieved.
>> Ken
>>
>> On Tue, 26 Sep 1995, R. S. Kay wrote:
>>
>> > HELP!!  I am caught in an existential loop.  I have been going around and
>> > then some regarding wearing of personal dosimeters in radiologic
locales.  I
>> > have no trouble with film badge (or TLD) on collar outside leaded apron.
>> >
>> > I need policy (in writing) for the location of said dosimeter when a
thyroid
>> > shield is worn.  I have always instructed to wear UNDER the thyroid shield,
>> > but I cannot find anything IN WRITING one way or the other.  Does
anyone out
>> > here have definitive answer and documentation as to correct location.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance as usual.
>> >
>> > richard
>> >
>> > kayrs@peak.org
>> > http://www.peak.org/~kayrs/
>> > Richard Kay, MSc, RT(R)
>> >

>> >              KNOWLEDGE IS THE FIRST PREREQUISITE IN RADIATION SAFETY 8^)

CAPT Jerry A. Thomas,  MSC, USN
Chief Radiological Physics
Department of Radiology/Nuclear Medicine
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, MD  20814-4799

E-mail:  thomas@bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil
Phone:   (301) 295-3246