Your expert perspective...

          Good day radsafers

          An associate of mine is taking a general biology class at a
          local community college. The instructor has an anti nuke
          agenda. She has given the class an assignment asking the
          class to answer particular questions concerning the nuclear
          power industry. One question suggests that the nuclear power
          industry started to replace REM with the SI unit Sieverts
          for dose equivalent reporting. This instructor is convinced
          that this was done because the sv equivalent for rem would
          appear to be a smaller number, and would not be such a shock
          when reported to the public. Rather than reporting 100 rem,
          the industry would fool the world by reporting 1 sv. This
          change, as the instructor points out, was done after the
          Chernobyl accident.

          Would anyone care to shed some light on this assumption? I'm
          sure one rational shotgun blast will blow her theory away.
          Sorry if it raised your blood pressure. Thanks in advance. I
          can't imagine anyone being further off base.

          T.Fox
          Sr. HP Tech
          Office of EH&S
          University of California, San Diego