Re: Dear Rad-Safe:

Melissa,

        Would it be possible to "open" the list server to folks like Mike
Stabin so that they can send to the list but not receive from the list.  I
know Mike's work and it is unequaled.  He is an excellent resource and we
should try to accomodate folks like that if possible and at the same time
avoid being spammed.

JERRY THOMAS

At 08:33 10/5/95 -0500, you wrote:
>> My name is Mike Stabin, although I am writing from James Stubbs' account.
>> This is the focus of why I am writing.  I find it rather silly that your
>> service will not accept e-mail from people other than subscribers to your
>> list.
>[some deleted for brevity]
>> We run a very busy center here, and I do not have time to sit and read
>> dozens of e-mail messages every day, so I do not subscribe to this or
>> other quite interesting groups.
>
>Just a word of explanation to the RADSAFE subscribers...
>
>The main reason I would not allow non-subscribers to post is the increased
>probability of "spamming," which is the broadcast of inappropriate (usually
>commercial) posts to a wide range of Usenet newsgroups and/or Internet
>mailing lists.  Obviously, since subscription to the list is not regulated,
>requiring subscription cannot completely eliminate the possibility;
>however, the possibility that someone will spam RADSAFE is reduced.
>
>And another comment...
>
>I suspect that this will sound like a flame no matter how I word this, but
>I do resent someone implying that s/he is busier than the approximately 1000
>of you that currently subscribe to RADSAFE.
>
>Thanks for your continued support!
>
>Melissa
>
>--
>Melissa Woo                       | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>Health Physicist                  | Environmental Health & Safety Bldg., MC225
>office phone: 1.217.244.7233      | 101 S. Gregory St., Urbana, IL  61801
>m-woo@uiuc.edu                    | http://www.cso.uiuc.edu/ph/www/m-woo

CAPT Jerry A. Thomas,  MSC, USN
Chief Radiological Physics
Department of Radiology/Nuclear Medicine
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, MD  20814-4799

E-mail:  thomas@bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil
Phone:   (301) 295-3246