Re: RE: Please critique this fact sheet!

I agree with John Hughes about the dangers of perception.  By relating cost
to lives (though it makes good sense to the informed), one may be considered
callous and insensitive.  In addition, by relating (in any way) this
*perceived* risk to a real accident that has been given broad coverage, I
expect more than not will equate that this radiation risk has the same
potential impact as the accident (ex: Bus/train incident).  Comparisons
should stay where they belong, in this case: the water!

I also agree that, in general, the public is rational, but be wary of those
in close proximity of this situation.  Remember that their fears are real and
their minds are very nearly closed, fact and figure may not mollify
perceptions unless proposed in a very thoughtful manner (I've stepped into
this patty before).  Anyone had recent success in diffusing a similar
situation??

Charles Watts
Ecology Services, Inc.
cbwatts@eworld.com