Re: Isotope Licensing in Montana

A simple and straignt forward solution to this licensing problem is
available if the Cd-109 source is in a device approved for distribution
in the US to General Licensees pursuant to 10 CFR 31.5.  It can be
transfered to the distributor and then transfered pursuant to 10 CFR 32.51
to McMaster University at the US location of intended use.  Please call me
at 708.965.1999 if you would like more information.
----------->You wrote:

>>One of our faculty members wishes to take a 30 mCi Cd-109 source to
>>Montana to measure lead in bone by X-ray fluorescence. It is
>improbable that the factory has a license for the use of radioactive
>material. When similar work was done in Washington, it was in
>collaboration with a valid license holder, but this may not be possible
>here.
>
>>Can anyone let me know if Montana is an agreement state and what steps
>can we take to expedite the licensing.
>
>>John Harvey                            | McMaster University
>>Senior Health Physicist                | NRB-110
>>(905) 525-9140 ext 24226               | 1280 Main St. W.
>>harveyj@mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca         | Hamilton, Ont Canada L8S 4K1
>

>The major problem is going to be your current location, Canada. Montana
>is not an agreement state and thus falls under the jurisdiction of the
>NRC. You will have to contact someone at the NRC for authorization. If
>you currently held an AGREEMENT state license it would be a simple
>matter of reciprocity. I do not know the requirements for FOREIGN
>licensees.
>
>Montana is in NRC Region IV. The Regional Administrator there is:
>
>    Joseph Callan
>    Nuclear Regulatory Commission
>    611 Ryan Plaza Drive, Suite 400
>    Arlington, TX 76011
>
>    Phone: 817/860-8225
>
>You may want to try and work something out with a local hospital that
>currently has an NRC license. It may be a little more trouble but may
>be cheaper in the long run. Especially if reciprocity is not an option.
>
>Good Luck!
>
>Professionally yours,
>
>Edwin L. Wright, CHP             e-mail: elw1@ix.netcom.com
>11287 SE 56th Avenue
>Milwaukie, OR  97222-4481        Phone: 503/652-8570

ELI A.PORT,CHP
RSSI
eport@nwu.edu
VOICE:708.965.1999, 24X7