OEM: Occupational cancer

I am suprised at the tone of this question.  Here in the states we have no
control over who applies for what job.  Example:  the "declared pregnancy"
was formulated in response to a law suit from women who were being reassigned
to other duties without their consent due to being pregnant.  Each person
has a right to their own destiny and it would be inappropriate to prohibit
them from performing a job due to prior anything.  The only exemption is
our lifetime dose limitations on planned special exposures.

I was a nuclear medicine technologist for 13 years, then I got into medical
physics by going back to school and getting an MS.  During the time I was
getting my masters, I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  And, in my case,
I can tell you, anyone who prohibited me, without my consent, from working
around radiation would have a legal fight on their hands.  It is my choice
and I have made it knowledgeably.

The opinions above are mine alone and do not represent my employer's or anyone
else for that matter.

Trisha Edgerton
pedgerto@hw1.cahwnet.gov

*** Forwarding note from RADSAFE --HW1SMTP  11/08/95 17:50 ***
To: RADSAFE --HW1SMTP  RADSAFE

Subject: OEM: Occupational cancer

Sender's Nativename=radsafe@ROMULUS.EHS.UIUC.EDU

Forwarded message from the Occupational-Environmental-Medicine List

Please direct/include response to the requestor.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide