Re: Financial Surety

First, I would recommend that you look at the pertinent regulation.
It has probably been in effect since January 1995 and it may well
spell out your options in full.  However, I expect it follows the
general format of stating how the amount of funding shall be
determined and discussing the acceptable forms for the financial
surety document.  The NRC has developed some guidance and standard,
acceptable forms.  Calif may have the same, so you might want to try
giving them a call.

Note that, some time after the fact, the Organization of Agreement
States is discussing with the NRC certain options to make this more
viable for small entities.  One of the NRC's assuptions was that small
entities would be able to get surety at a reasonable cost.  This has
turned out to be inaccurate.  So.....

Good luck.  Feel free to realize this is just as much of a pain for
the regulators who got stuck reviewing these things as for the
licensees who have to come up with them.

Wes

> Date:          Wed, 10 Jan 96 15:35:31 -0600
> From:          JDillon@mercury.ligand.com
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       Financial Surety

> Well, California it appears, has finally caught up with of the non-agreement
> states in that we are now required to show financial surety.  I have just
> received my letter from the state requiring me to submit this information by
> January 30th of this month.  Nice notice, eh??  Part of the financial surety
> includes a decommissioning funding plan.  I am not familiar of what information
> should be included in these plans.  We have our decommissioning plan already
> completed as part of our radioactive materials license, but the part concerning
> the funding is what I would like to concentrate on.  I don't want to put
> information in this document that is not necessary and I would like to get input
> from others who have completed these documents in the past.

Wesley M. Dunn, C.H.P.                     512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us