Re[2]: Decon of toilets - I-131

To add our little bit on I-131 and toilets:

At our hospital we faced all the problems noted in the previous
messages regarding deconning porcelain toilets. Add to the items noted
that if you dedicate a room or two to this use the "super scrubbing"
once every week or two eventually breaks down the glaze on the the
porcelain (makes decon ever harder).
Our solution was provided by an ex-Navy Nuc Med Tech.  We installed
stainless steel toilets in the 3 rooms in question.  Generally we have
found that they are much easier to decon.  Additionally we had them
installed with "easy disconnects" so we can just change out the toilet
and hold it for decay if need be.  We found this approach to work
nicely for us.
Interesting side note:  When we attempted to buy the toilets we were
put on a waiting list for several months.  It turns out that almost
the entire production of these toilets were dedicated to outfitting
prisons.

Ken Helm
RSO
UCSD