Re[2]: Van de Graaff decon

     Good luck!  The Navy donated a VDG to a private military college.
     Much to their dismay it too was grossly contaminated with tritium.
     The physics lab where the parts were being stored also became
     contaminated with tritium.  In fact, floors, bench tops, and every
     thing else was likewise contaminated.  Tritium is highly mobile and
     can be one place today and not so tomorrow.

     I don't know the physical state of your VDG.  Cleaning parts and
     removing to a clean environment is the best approach.  Otherwise, the
     cleaning effort is best in as few sessions as possible.  If not, it
     WILL migrate.  I found this out the hard way, while deconning an
     accelerator facility contaminated with tritium throughout the buliding
     just from a small source of tritium that happened to be leaking and
     left there over the weekend.  In other words, don't be surprised if
     you have to clean more than just the VDG!

     If my memory serves me right, we used a variety of cleaning agents.
     For superficial coatings of tritium on surfaces, we used acetone or
     any self-respecting cleaner.  Caution must be taken to not use
     cleaners with chelating agents to the extent that you end up with
     greater than 8% by weight in waste generated (Barnwell criterion).
     If you have to decon tritium in porous material (concrete), let me
     know.  I had to do that too!

     robert_owen@health.ohio.gov