Re: Internet for researchers

>I found the subject of providing information to students via the internet very
>interesting because I and the Chair of our Radiation Safety Committee at Princ
>eton have been discussing how we can use the system to make information availa
>blt to students and researchers.

A noble concept, but...

As a devil's advocate, let me ask how one protects the integrity of the data
made available on the Web. Hackers abound, and with too little real work to
occupy them, they view the task of corrupting someone else's data as a
challenge. Likewise, what prevents a contrived anti-nuclear group from
establishing a Web site with considerable disinformation and propaganda
masquerading as a valid scientific database? Can legitimate organizations
(no names mentioned here) include bogus claims about radiation and its
effects among their otherwise factual Web pages?

How can the student be protected from a routine search that captures
falsified data? Doesn't the student have to verify the source of the data,
citing references as always? Is a Web page a suitable reference in a
student's paper?

Let the arguments begin.

Bob Flood
Unless otherwise noted, all opinions are mine alone.
(415) 926-3793
bflood@slac.stanford.edu