Re: Chrnobyl effects - Wales and Northern UK

>I thought someone on this list might have information that could help this
>person......
>
>>Date:         Mon, 8 Apr 1996 09:09:46 -0400
>>From: Gary Evans <evansg@nal.usda.gov>
>>Subject:      Chrnobyl effects - Wales and Northern UK
>>To: Multiple recipients of list ECOLOG-L <ECOLOG-L@UMDD.UMD.EDU>
>>
>>I recently received a question regarding plume effects of Chernobyl on
>>the meat, wool and animal industry of Wales.
>>
>>The discussion indicated that the western edge of the Chernobyl plume
>>advanced over the UK with little recognizable effect except in north
>>Wales.  In theory the Irish Sea thermals caused eddying of the plume long
>>enough to deposit radiation.  apparently the levels are very low and thus
>>of no serious concern to the human population, however, the grazers,
>>notably the sheep and cattle, plus deer and other ruminants have through
>>bioaccumulation, acquired enough radiation to make the meat unmarketable.
>>
>>Can anyone provide references, email addresses of scientists or MAFF
>>workers who can either confirm or deny this rumor?
>>
>>Thanks in advance
>>
>>Gary R. Evans
>>US Department of Agriculture
>>Washington, DC
>>USA
>>evansg@nalusda.gov
>

>-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
>Larisa Streeter
>    Corporate Environmental Scientist
>      Western Atlas International, Inc.
>        Houston, Texas
>          larisa@sam.neosoft.com
>
>*** My opinion only. Use at your own risk. No warranties real or ***
>*** implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your mileage may vary.***
>*** My boss has already disavowed all knowledge of my actions....***

Best source I know of is Brenda J Howard, Institute of Terrestrial Ecology,
Merlewood Research Station, Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria, LA11 6JU, United
Kingdom.  Maybe someone out there has her Phone number or fax.  She has
been researching the UK Chernobyl plume for years and is quite the expert.
Marvin Goldman