From:"radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu" <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
To: Multiple,recipients,of,list,radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
Subject: Tandem accel question

Keep in mind the currents being considered: 1 and 30 micro-amps.
These are very small currents and, although in the low MeV,
I would expect no significant rad levels. At IBM Watson Lab
we installed a 1 MeV Pellatron and have the end stations and
control console in the same room. The vendor did wrap some
lead around the tank and I had area monitors up for over a
year with nothing but background. Think of it as a high-end
ion implanter. I did require area gamma and neutron monitors
be installed, interlocked to the accel, and set to some
low trip point like 1 - 2 mrem/hr.

We did build a shielded room for some neutron work. The
researchers could accel He++ into a Be foil. This room
had the interlocked door. The tandem accel itself was
basically a non-rad generator so the main room only had a
special badge reader on it.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
Jeffrey Leavey                          certhp@vnet.ibm.com
X-ray Lithography Program                         IBM Corp.
914-892-4595                       East Fishkill, NY  12533

--Boundary-2081792-0-0--