Subject: Lightning Protectors using Th-232
From:    radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at smtpgate
Date:    5/3/96  8:13 AM

 A little while back there was a thread on radioactive Lightning Protectors.
one of
 ourt facilities has a severe lightning strike problem. A salesman has
approached
 them and proposed using the "Lightning Protector" which has about 13 uCi of
 Th-232.
  Question 1. Do these things really work?

  Question 2. If so, how?  The saleman talked about a Franklin Cone versus a
Faraday cage type lightning protection system, and about the ions 'streaming'
from the
source to prevent the discharge of lightning from occurring.  There may be
something to these as the company is offerring a 6 million dollar bond on their
performance..

 Question 3. Does anyone have any experience with these?

As this is a little off topic for Radsafe, please respond directly to
Luke McCormick c0etxlim@mrd42.mrd.usace.army.mil (2nd Char. is a zero)

Thanks in advance.