Re: ?? QA well counter

Jim,

If this is being used to perform 10CFR20 (or equivalent)
required surveys, then it needs to be calibrated.  At the least, you
should do a real calibration annually (energy response,
reproducibility, etc...).  I'd also suggest daily constancy checks
and quarterly efficiency curves.

Note that efficiency curves should cover the entire range of expected
energies for which surveys are being performed.  The constancy check
should use a source that is reasonably close to the primary energy or
energy range that you look for.

Wes

Wesley M. Dunn, C.H.P.                     512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us