Re: FiestaWare -Reply

The radioactivity is in the glaze.  Some of my predecessors at the
former Bureau of Radiological Health took some of the radioactive
Fiestaware "apart" and did gamma spec on the pieces.  The uranium and
daughters were definitely in the glaze.  NUREG/CP001 (1978)
"Radioactivity in Consumer Products" and NCRP Report 95, (1987)
"Radiation Exposure of the U.S. Population forom Consumer Products and
Miscellaneous Sources" are two references.

The Food and Drug Administration has not approved use of uranium glazed
ceramic ware for food use.

You can call, fax, or e-mail me if you want further details.

Ed Tupin
RSO, Center for Devices and Radiological Health
EAT@fdadr.cdrh.fda.gov
(301) 827-1230
Fax:  (301) 594-4760