Re: Hoods for Iodination

Willaim Tuttle:

Captair LABX, Inc. with a TOXICAP is located at One Elm Square, Route 114,
North Andover, MA 01845 Ph 508-975 3336.  This is a French manufactured hood
with three sets of roughing filters and three banks of charcoal filters,
tabulates run time on each bank of filters, and has lots of bell & whistles
including total recirculation with alledgedly zero discharge.

This is one of the better hoods for handling radioiodines I have seen.  By
the way, I disagree with the advise to use stainless steel.  Iodine sublimes
and plates out on cooler surfaces (such as bare metal) a painted surface is
warmer, and if necessary the paint can be removed at decommissioning.  If
you are really concerned about plate out we use to use plastic film such as
Saran wrap to coat surfaces (such as the stainless steel crystal housing on
a whole body counter) and the plastic is easily removable for
decontamination creating minimal bulk.

I was able to unconditionally release one of the above hoods that was used
to manufacture radioactive iodine-125 labelled biological compounds for
approximately 2 years on a regular basis except for the filter elements.

You might be interested there are a number of nearly new hoods including 2
of the above model at the web site : http://www.econolab.labx.com

Doug Turner email turners@earthlink.net