Re[2]: Radiation Detector Calibrations

     NCRP 112 contains some good guidance on this topic.  Here is my
     opinion.

     If one uses the instrument for measuring exposure rate, calibrate for
     exposure rate to a similar (or approximately similar) energy source.
     This should negate having to ensure that a compensated GM tube is
     used.  If you have a wide variety of energies, compensation becomes
     very important.  For ranges not able to be calibrated due to source
     restrictions, use the pulser but make sure you include a "crossover
     point(s).

     If the instrument is used for contamination surveys only, pulsing is
     practical.  However, be you should verify the tube operates at high
     rates with actual radiation.  For halogen quenched GM tubes the gas
     can "leak-out" thereby resulting in double pulsing of an extreme
     over-response. The pulsing process is very good for linearity checks
     of the electronics.  In any case, for contamination monitoring, an
     appropriate efficiency is quite important (both energy and geometry).

     Just a caution, the ludlum models 2 & 3 can be ordered with a wide
     variety of meter-faces.  Some have cpm only, some have mR/hr and cpm,
     some have mR/hr only.  The faces are designed to operate with specific
     probes.  Almost any GM detector can be adapted to be supported by
     these instruments.  If this is done, user beware !!!  The only scale
     that has any meaning may be cpm, not informative for worker
     protection...

     Eric Darois, CHP