RE: Regulations from scratch

> Date:          Wed, 26 Jun 96 15:59:27 -0500
> From:          Kathi Elliott <KELLIOTT@WPO.IUPUI.EDU>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       RE:  Regulations from scratch

> We recently requested information from Radsafers regarding monitoring
> individuals in a university setting.  We've pursued eliminating a number
> of badges determined to be unwarranted.  Only one principal investigator
> expressed concern that his workers may have not receiving their monthly
> "A-ok" report.  I expressed my concern to him regarding individuals
> false security with regard to dosimetry.  It is not unusual to see P-32
> users wearing dosimeters but not using a geiger counter.  These people
> need to understand the importance of CONTAMINATION control.  This is
> truly the exposure potential for most researchers using relatively small
> quantities of material.  No dosimeter will hold up in a court of law
> with regard to potential P-32 contamination or ingestion.  Education is
> the key.  The less time (and $$) we spend distributing, collecting,
> analyzing, reporting... the more time for training.  Agree??     (Never
> realized I was a "soap box" kinda person!)

I think that the point that a lot of people are missing with the badges is
that it is a great indicator of procedural and radiation practice
problems at your facility. No one at 99% of the research institutions
is going to exceed any limit (or even 10% of the limit).  I, like all
of you, review page after page of minimal exposure reports. But,
there are those badges that occasionally come back high. What this
allows us, as health physicist, to do is evaluate these situations
and make immediate corrections with personnel practices. We evaluate
and make recommendations to maintain ALARA principles. Isn't this the
philosophy that we should be considering.

Scott Richards
Radiation Safety Officer
University at Albany, SUNY
518-442-3497