on the use of pigs for skin dose experiments

     In response, the Shriner's Burns Institutes of America discovered,
     through investigation, that the pig has the most similar skin tissue
     to the human being.

     Shriner's Burns Hospitals provide care for children under the age of
     19 to any and all, regardless of ability to pay, who are burned over
     any portion of the body.  There are 9 Shriner's Burns units (I think),
     throughout the US supported solely by the Shriners of America (I will
     not explain who these gentlemen are - I would hope you know) and their
     Shrine Circuses, and other events.

     Back to topic, many years ago, an experiment to discover synthetic
     skin was started at the Burns Hospitals, but nothing worked very well.
     As an abortive attempt, even cloning of skin was tried.  Then, someone
     suggested animal skins - so the scientists and doctors began looking
     at various animals, starting of course, with primates - no match.
     After some research, it was found that not only does the pig
     epidermis, dermis, and subcutaneous tissue most closely match the
     human, so do the hair follicles, and associated tissue.  The most
     amazing part of pig skin is, if cut in a "waffle" pattern, and allowed
     to soak for about 3 days in saline solution, it can be spread out to
     nearly 300% of its original size and placed on a burn area.  Within
     days, the skin is growing like mad and will shortly replace the open
     areas of the waffle pattern with fresh, healthy dermis,etc.

     So, when skin studies are required, we turn to the lowly swine.  Hey!
     Maybe there is some basis for men being called male chauvinist pig
     besides the way we just generally act, huh?

     Hope this answers the question, and provides other insights as well.

     Ronald R. Goodwin
     Senior Health Physicist
     Ohio Bureau of Radiation Protection