Re: Antw: Pregnant policies in Europe? -Reply

The period of time where the embryo-fetus is most radiosensitive is from
8 to 15 weeks post-conception.  I believe this is when neurogenesis is
occurring.

Comments/opinions are mine alone, etc.  DHARRISON@DOE.LANL.GOV

>>> Mike McNaughton <mcnaught@lanl.gov> 07/09/96 06:42am >>>
>At this stage I'll refrain from any comment on the practicality of this
>article in the BSS, but one might ponder on :
>- At what stage of foetal devellopment are external stressors as
>radiation most harmfull?
>- At what stage in pregnancy will a female worker (want to) know she
is
>pregnant?
>- How soon will she inform 'the undertaking' about her pregnancy?

I have informally made the following suggestion to our Reproductive
Health
Hazards committee: in my opinion a woman who is planning to become
pregnant could reasonably declare pregnancy at each ovulation and
revoke it at each menstruation, continuing this cycle until a pregnancy is
confirmed.  Note that nothing in our rules requires a declared pregnant
worker to have medical confirmation of the pregnancy.

Stay safe, mike (mcnaught@LANL.GOV)