Dose Rate from Patients

35.315 DOES soley apply to patients hospitalized in accordance with
35.75.  We have asked for a clarification of 35.415 with regard to the
omission of the 35.75 requirement.  It has been about 4 months, but we
haven't received word yet.  IMHO, radiation areas (or part 20, in
general) were written without much thought to medical licensees.  I
whole-heartedly agree with the comment that there already is enough fear
from hospital personnel with regard to these patients without posting
the area as high radiation; "radioactive materials" seems to do the job.
 It is not unusual to hear from an I-131 patient that the nurse was too
afraid to come inside the room and stood in the doorway - they feel like
they have the plague!  Definitely another area that needs thorough
training.

Kathi Elliott
kelliott@wpo.iupui.edu