RE: E-mailing dose records

On Thu, 11 Jul 96, "William G. Nabor" <wgnabor@uci.edu> wrote:

>Alas!  In this day of e-mail and computer access, it is still cheaper to
>post personal information on the wall then to notify workers electronically,
>automatically.  Note: badge companies:  PLEASE come up with a method of
>notifying INDIVIDUALS via e-mail of their individual exposures.  This will
>prevent people from not wearing their badges to avoid having their boss get
>angry over a few mR exposure.

OK, I'll bite.

I work for a dosimetry company, and am overseeing a project to convert our
ancient computer system over to something more modern. We will have a web page
that will allow browsing, downloading, and local printing of reports in an
uneditable format, as well as a data file that the client can manipulate.
Unreturned badge lists, ALARA reports, adds, drops, barcodes, e-mail, the whole
enchilada.

I interpret the above request as for notification to the badge wearer of their
dose directly, bypassing "the boss". While this is technically feasible,
assuming (huge assumption) everyone who is badged has an e-mail account, the
boss, as licensee (or representative), is responsible for tracking and limiting
employee dose under that license. I can't imagine a scenario where an RSO would
not demand dose report info for everyone badged.

If that info was also e-mailed to the wearer to avoid having to post it
publically, there would be the admin burden of keeping the vendor notified of
everyone's current e-mail address, increased disk space requirements, still
needing to post for those without e-mail, etc.

Frankly, I don't think it would work very well.

If anyone has suggestions beyond the usual for dosimetry vendor electronic data
access I would appreciate a personal note. I'll be leaving for the HPS summer
school today so I  apologize in advance for not acknowledging your input
promptly. Thanks.

Mike Bielby
TLD Technical Manager
Radiation Detection Company