Rad Lab Issue

     Is there any good, quantitative definition of a "Restricted Area"?   I
     know the definition as stated in 10CFR20, but I want to know how to
     determine if an analytical laboratory doing mixed waste analyses needs
     to be restricted or should be a "controlled" area with access through
     lock-and-key only.  I would appreciate responses from commercial mixed
     waste laboratories, in-house plant laboratories and regulators.  We do
     not nor will we ever handle the activity levels of a nuclear power
     station.  Thank you.