Re: Rad Lab Issue

Todd Hardt wrote:

>      Is there any good, quantitative definition of a "Restricted Area"?   I
>      know the definition as stated in 10CFR20, but I want to know how to
>      determine if an analytical laboratory doing mixed waste analyses needs
>      to be restricted or should be a "controlled" area with access through
>      lock-and-key only.  I would appreciate responses from commercial mixed
>      waste laboratories, in-house plant laboratories and regulators.  We do
>      not nor will we ever handle the activity levels of a nuclear power
>      station.  Thank you.

Todd and Fellow Radsafers,

It seems to me the main "advantage" to declaring a lab as a restricted
area is that you do not need to provide security and constant
surveillance over radioactive matrials while in use, per NRC regs.
Training is no longer mandatory for all persons working in or
frequenting a restricted area.

Of course you must actually restrict access to this area.  In my opinion
this means enforcing access restrictions to pre-authorized persons, and
a strict policy of escorting visitors and guests (and NRC inspectors.)

Cheers,
Wes

--
Wesley R. Van Pelt, Ph.D., CIH, CHP                   KF2LG
President, Van Pelt Assoc., Inc.            vanpelt@ios.com